Tuesday 25 October 2011

Mary Berry's Tarte Au Citron

For a dinner party this week I decided to make Mary Berry's Tarte Au Citron - as featured on the recent series of the Great British Bake-Off:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/tarte_au_citron_94480

Great recipe - one of the most lemony tarts I've ever tasted - and the basics of the recipe are fairly straightforward. However, my particular version was far from perfect, and I think I've learnt a few lessons...

1. It's equally important to check that your tart tin is the right depth as it is the right diameter. Mine was not - meaning that my lemony filling didn't fill it up, and the tops of the pastry case got a bit browner than they should have done during cooking...

2. It's a good idea to actually take the tart out of the tin... I didn't quite manage to do this for over an hour after cooking - by which time the pastry had cooled enough to weld itself somewhat to the bottom of the tin...

3. In fact, it's quite a good idea to NOT make a tarte au citron at the same time as preparing the rest of a dinner party, as it does seem to lead to general chaos...

Anyway, despite a few problems, the tarte did taste rather good - as is evidenced from the fact that I didn't manage to take a photo of it before half of it got eaten:


And of course the main thing - I avoided the soggy bottom!

No comments:

Post a Comment