Thursday 13 October 2011

Blue Peter Brownies - a classic

Whenever I'm asked to bake at short notice, this is my go-to recipe. It takes no time at all to make and cook, and is a guaranteed winner - I can't remember the number of times that I've been asked for the recipe after sharing them.

The recipe originally came from an episode of Blue Peter - well over 10 years ago. Although I copied it down religiously from Ceefax, it was a few years before I actually tried out the recipe - but once I did, it wasn't long before I did it again... and again...


Blue Peter Brownies
Makes 12

100g butter
225g caster sugar
40g cocoa
2 large eggs
A few drops vanilla essence
50g SR flour
50g chocolate chips

Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees, gas mark 4.

Beat the eggs in a large bowl, then add the sugar and mix until smooth.

Melt the butter in a small pan, then mix in the cocoa powder. Add this mixture, and the vanilla essence, to the egg and sugar mixture.

Sift the flour in to the mixture, and mix together gradually until completey smooth. Add the chocolate chips. Done!

Spread the mixture into a lined baking tin (one of those small, rectangular, ones - around 10" x 7") and place in the oven. Cook for around 20-25 minutes, or until the top has begun to brown.

Leave to cool in the tin for 5-10 minutes, then turn out onto a baking rack. Or on to a plate, and eat while they're still gooey. Mmm.

3 comments: